Re: (reiserfs) Re: I discussed reading directories as files with jra, Stallman, and

Stefan Monnier (monnier+lists/linux/kernel/news/@tequila.cs.yale.edu)
23 Jun 1999 14:36:16 -0400

> Watch how "find" chokes on Linux/Unix/Win32 systems and then do the
> same search on crappy MacOS machine that's got a 32 bit DOS extender for
> a VM subsystem and blow the all the Linux/Unix/Win32 away from having all
> those dorky "dot" ("." <---) pathetically slow down the search.
> You can just search the data fork for content.

You're confusing the `should the kernel support forks' issue with the
`should there be a notion of fork'. If you want to have something like forks,
you can provide that outside of the kernel. And yes, you'll have to extend
`find' so that it is more convenient to use in this case (you can already
use it for it, but the magic incantation will look ugly).
So `find' has nothing to do with the problem of whether or not the kernel
should have anything more than `directories'.

> Well, I guess you like double clicking on a MP3 file with a ".au" suffix
> and watch the spawned program choke on a bunch of discrete cosine data,
> right ?

Yet another confusion: you're confusing forks with typing.
I agree that typing is useful, but this has nothing to do with forks,
except that MacOS uses both.

Stefan