Re: why is the size of a directory always 1024b ?

Raoul Boenisch (st0136@aixrs1.hrz.uni-essen.de)
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 14:08:29 +0200 (MESZ)

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, MURALI N wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, David S. Miller wrote:
>
> : I want to know if there is any significant reason why the
> : size of each directory ( ext2fs) is reported as 1024b ( or a
> : multiple of 1024).
> :
> :Because this is the "block size" of the filesystem, the directory
> :space is allocated in units of this.
>
> Why is it then that SunOS does not follow the same allocation
> procedure? see the attachment for a dir listing.

It's not neccessary for compatibility and other important things that the
dir command counts directory space in the same way. It's a question of
personal taste wether you want to see the actual space used or the actual
space occupied by a directory entry. In any case the space is allocated in
blocks, so even on SunOS a directory is allocated in blocks of special
size.

--
homepage: http://www.raoul.home.pages.de/