Re: parallel writes to the same file, 2.3.7

Mitchell Blank Jr (mitch@execpc.com)
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 11:34:21 -0500

Alexander Viro wrote:
> Caution: side effect of that change was not pretty. truncate() used to be
> serialized wrt write(). Now it isn't. We might contract some races here.

Sure sounds that way. Note that you don't really want truncate()/write()
to be strictly serialized, you just want to serialize things that will
change the length of the file (i.e. truncate and append) So does the
locking on the inode save us here?

If not, there will be a need for a new lock protecting the length of
the file. This might also make the simultaneous-writers case that
people were talking about work out better.

-Mitch