Re: parallel writes to the same file, 2.3.7

Ingo Molnar (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 17:06:07 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Until 2.3.7 all file writes were serialized by the 'inode semaphore', ie.
> > one big write excluded all other writers until the big write finished.
>
> Is this true for char devices too. If so its a welcome change but there
> are a lot of drivers that need fixing 8)

yes 8) The 'easy fix' is to down()/up() the inode semaphore manually in
all the ->write functions. We might want to intentionally 'break' the
file_ops API right now so that these assumption changes get caught
automatically?

-- mingo