Re: (reiserfs) Re: I discussed reading directories as files with jra, Stallman, and loic

Nathan Hand (nathanh@chirp.com.au)
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 12:35:09 +1000

On Mon, Jun 21, 1999 at 09:21:49PM -0400, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
> Pavel Machek writes:
> > [somebody, likely Hans Reiser]
>
> >> Jeremy wants in the FS what he can get with Microsoft streams and
> >> Macintosh forks. That is, he wants to be able to name an object, and
> >> read it, and get something, and he wants to be able to add something
> >> that goes into that object, and stays with it when the object gets moved.
> >> He wants this because he is a Samba author, and it will make his life a
> >> lot easier to have it when Windows 2000 comes out.
> >
> > Oops. Should not he do it himself? This will make samba non-portable
> > and what is worse samba will not run on ext2.
>
> There are several answers to that...
>
> Samba remains portable, minus Windows 2000 emulation.
> It is easy to enhance ext2 in the same way.
> If ext2 and BSD don't evolve, they die. Problem?

But win2k doesn't access the filesystem directly, it accesses it through
samba. At no stage does win2k use the kernel directly.

So anything that could go into the kernel could equally well go in samba
as far as the networked win2k boxes are concerned.

Ok you may lose performance, and it may be a little harder to write, and
it may make samba shares "off limits" to normal unix users.

But you do not need fork support from the kernel. Lack of kernel support
for forks/streams isn't the real problem.

In this case I suspect the real problem is that JA wants to let standard
unix tools muck directly with win2k shares without losing meta info. I'm
not opposed to meta info (it will certainly make it easier for GNOME and
KDE to do various things) but I abhor the idea of adding it just because
it makes it easier to support win2k shares. You can support win2k shares
without going to drastic kernel hacking measures.

> > This should be done in userspace. Editing /etc/passwd is certainly not
> > performance critical so podfuk is just the right
> > answer. (http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/podfuk/podfuk.html).
>
> I hope you realize that "podfuk" will not be very successful in the US.
> The sound of "podfuk" brings to mind sexual activity with vegatables.
> Businesses in the US are very concerned about sexual harassment lawsuits.

The word podfuk comes from an American video game (Star Control 2) which
had a PG rating nearly 10 years ago. It obviously isn't a problem.

--
Nathan Hand - Chirp Web Design - http://www.chirp.com.au/ - $e^{i\pi}+1 = 0$
Phone: +61 2 6230 1871   Fax: +61 2 6230 4455   E-mail: nathanh@chirp.com.au