Re: Massive e2fs corruption with 2.2.9/10?

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 11:36:17 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 20 Jun 1999, Harald Koenig wrote:

> update: I'm no longer sure that it's a kernel problem in my case.
> after reducing the CPU clock from 450 to 400 MHz I've now compiled
> >2*100 kernels using 2.2.10 with no single problem at all.

Hmm.. Interesting.

> so maybe it was just a hardware problem for me -- or it's some weird race
> which doesn't show up for 400 but only for 450 MHz ?! I can't believe that yet...

Could be. It sounds fairly unlikely, but timing-related bugs are always
the worst to find. I wonder what it was that pushed the system over the
edge in the later 2.2.x (we had a _lot_ of this in the 2.0.x timeframe:
people who had run 1.2.x with no problems and suddenly got problems due to
2.0 being better at utilizing the hardware).

But yes, for the time being I will just assume it is hardware-related, and
just wait for the reports to continue.

Linus