Re: several messages

Dean Gaudet (dgaudet-list-linux-kernel@arctic.org)
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 20:22:03 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 20 Jun 1999, Chris Wedgwood wrote:

> > Any examples? All other protocols except NFS (that is already in
> > kernel) require heavy processing before sending responses, and
> > won't benefit from "generic" solution that really still only
> > benefits one particular implementation of one particular protocol.
>
> SMTP & NNTP

IMAP, POP, and SMTP require line endings to be CRLF rather than a bare LF.
So in order for them to work in this situation you have to change the
usual unix on-disk representation... Not that this should stop someone
from designing a kick butt mail system which uses CRLF on disk
representations... after all if you're doing IMAP and POP why do you care
if unix tools can read the files or not?

Yeah, now imagine the joy of the IMAP server with on-disk LF files... the
IMAP protocol allows random-access to messages... try skipping ahead N
bytes in the CRLF representation when you've only got the LF
representation.

And you thought HTTP was dumb :)

Dean