Re: Binary Kernel Patching - Upgrading without a reboot

Gabor Lenart (lgb@oxygene.terra.vein.hu)
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 16:36:49 +0200

On Fri, Jun 18, 1999 at 02:58:03PM -0400, Jordan Mendelson wrote:

> I know a while back there was talk of a method of upgrading your kernel for
> things like security holes, new features, etc using a binary method similar to
> the way we use insmod to load kernel modules.

Without reboot ? The module view of coding is good for this too ...
Modularize almost everything in Linux and then you can change them easily.
MUCH more easily than implementing a stuff like your idea imho.

> Does anyone know what happened to all the plans that were made? It sure would be
> nice not to have to reboot to upgrade my kernels.

There was a thread in the list to development a method to change kernel
without reboot as far as I remember.

--
 ---[ LGB/DC ]------------[ University Of Veszprém ]------[ Lénárt Gábor ]---
 "The truth is out there"  "We're l{ea,i}ving together" "The future is dark."