Re: Microsoft IP-stack ?!

Kai Henningsen (kaih@khms.westfalen.de)
19 Jun 1999 11:38:00 +0200

mtrausch@wcnet.org (Michael B. Trausch) wrote on 18.06.99 in <Pine.LNX.4.10.9906182243570.5003-100000@localhost>:

> On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Robert L. Harris wrote:
> >
> > So the Windows "betanew" server used to distribute news about Windows
> > products is in a Linux/BSD box? Anyone else choose to hit the floor
> > laughing?
> >
> > Robert
> >

> I find it amusing that Microsoft puts *SO* much trust into their own
> Windows NT... Quite seriously, it's a huge testimony, the way I view it.

Search the MSDN Library for "Linux" (or even just "Unix") one of these
days. There's a number of articles in there that essentially says (often
hidden among other stuff) that this Linux/Unix stuff is very good and
highly successfull, especially in the server market.

The non-marketers inside M$ seem to know this just fine.

(Oh, there's also the source to the Apache mod_frontpage in there, and it
says that on Linux system user ids are 0-15 IIRC, whereas other unices
have 0-11. I wonder how they got *that* idea?)

MfG Kai