Re: UUIDs (and devfs and major/minor numbers)

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 09:41:01 +1000

H. Peter Anvin writes:
> Richard Gooch wrote:
> > >
> > > That's your assertion. I claim it is starting with a solution going
> > > looking for the problem, and finding the solution is not what the
> > > problem required -> kluge.
> >
> > Credit me with having thought about the issues before I started
> > coding. I even discussed things on the list before I started
> > coding. Devfs is most definately a response to a set of real problems.
>
> You did, and I agree it is a response. I don't think it is the
> *correct* response (as I have explained many times on this list many
> times both before and after you first started on this.)

You ignored the point I'm making. You said that devfs is a solution
looking for a problem. That is incorrect. There are (were) several
problems for which I came up with a solution.

You are entitled to have your opinion on whether devfs is the right
solution or not. However, it's just plain rude to insinuate that I
coded before thinking.

Regards,

Richard....