Re: oom() _still_ killing init

pedietz@west.com
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 19:20:11 -0000

<pine.lnx.4.10.9906181456390.603-10000-@laser.random> wrote:
Original Article: http://www.egroups.com/group/linux-kernel/?start=114348
> On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Urban Widmark wrote:
> >Perhaps a special handling of some other processes should be added (init,
> >kflushd?, kpiod?, kswapd?, ...). 0 points does not mean that it can't be
>
> kflushd/kpiod/kswapd can't be killed just now with my simply OOM killer
> because their total_vm is 0.

The OOM patch seems very logical.

Previous OOM posts from ages ago point for an additional need for custom exception and kill-first lists..

/etc/oom.ignore
PROCESS=ncftpd
PROCESS=ironlung_controller
USER=root,rc.user

/etc/oom.kill1st
PROCESS=/usr/cai/uni
USER=sleepy,dopey,cottonball,peter
AGE=<3600

PROCESS would be a process name to kill.
USER would be all users.
AGE would be the age in seconds of processes.

Now what do you do if you have a process matching both files ?
What if you want a specific process by a specific user...
Not sure.