Re: oom() _still_ killing init

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 15:05:48 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Urban Widmark wrote:

>Does Rik's patch also spare the X server?

I still have to look into Rik's patch, but I just checked that we don't
have a bitflag in the task struct to account if the task is running in a
privilegied level (we only raise the two bits in eflags in sys_iopl).

>Perhaps a special handling of some other processes should be added (init,
>kflushd?, kpiod?, kswapd?, ...). 0 points does not mean that it can't be

kflushd/kpiod/kswapd can't be killed just now with my simply OOM killer
because their total_vm is 0.

I agree that we should not send a SIGKILL to iopl() tasks. But we may send
them a recoverable sigbus instead of a SIGKILL, no DoS troubles since a
iopl task is just able to crash the machine without having to allocing
memory :).

Andrea Arcangeli