Re: UUIDs (and devfs and major/minor numbers)

Malcolm Beattie (mbeattie@sable.ox.ac.uk)
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 10:38:10 +0100 (BST)

Dan Hollis writes:
> On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Richard Gooch wrote:
> > > I have to admit, I think this (conceptually) fits better in the realm of
> > > devfs. /proc just seems wrong for anything like this, but maybe it's my
> > > distaste of /proc being polluted for configuration controls showing.
> > Someone wrote a sockfs a long time ago. I don't recall what happened
> > to it.
>
> Found it in the archives. Dates back to 1997, in fact.
>
> http://linuxwww.db.erau.edu/mail_archives/linux-kernel/Sep_97/1423.html

There's a newer version (Oct 1998) for 2.0.35 available from
ftp://ftp.ox.ac.uk/pub/linux/sockfs-a2.tar.gz
The tiny patch to the kernel necessary to allow callouts to modules
to authorise privileged binds didn't make it into the kernel, so I
haven't bothered maintaining the patch.

--Malcolm

--
Malcolm Beattie <mbeattie@sable.ox.ac.uk>