Re: UUIDs (and devfs and major/minor numbers)

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 18:06:06 +1000

H. Peter Anvin writes:
> Dan Hollis wrote:
> > 1) you can also symlink devfs.
> > 2) devfs still has permissions.
>
> Yes, and they go away every time, completely nullifying the utility.
> In short, YES YOU CAN DO IT. It's no longer a clean solution, but
> nothing but a gross hack.

It's completely untrue that persistence for devfs is a gross hack. It
is true that the current user space scheme (using tar) is a hack. And
I've had plans right from the start to address that. But that is a
user space issue and shouldn't be held against devfs.

With devfsd, I have a very nice way of implementing persistence. I can
support the existing semantics, where a sysadmin goes in and manually
changes things, and I already support a more powerful scheme where
groups of device entries are "saved".

Regards,

Richard....