Re: UUIDs (and devfs and major/minor numbers)

Dan Hollis (goemon@sasami.anime.net)
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 00:42:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > 1) you can also symlink devfs.
> > 2) devfs still has permissions.
> Yes, and they go away every time, completely nullifying the utility.

In your opinion.

> In short, YES YOU CAN DO IT. It's no longer a clean solution, but
> nothing but a gross hack.

FreeBSD adopted devfs because it solves very real problems. I dont think
the BSD developers are stupid. They reasoned it out and came to the same
conclusion that Richard Gooch came to : devfs *is* useful.

And in any case if you disagree with devpts so vigorously, just dont
compile it into the kernel.

Pretty simple actually.

-Dan