[OFFTOPIC] Re: Re: bunzip2 -c linux-2.2.10.tar.bz2 | untar -xvp

Ville Herva (vherva@niksula.hut.fi)
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 09:59:43 +0300

linux-kernel-digest V1 #3975

> From: Myles Uyema <myles@puck.nether.net>
> Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 15:32:57 +0000 (UTC)
> Subject: Re: bunzip2 -c linux-2.2.10.tar.bz2 | untar -xvp
>
> On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, CaT wrote:
> > There is a patch ont he bzip2 homepage that lets tar use bzip2 when
> > used with the -y switch just like it would use gzip when used with -z.
>
> GNU tar 1.12 already uses the -I switch (capital i) for using bzip2
> compression. Long options are --bzip2 or --bunzip2.

Wrong. Gnu tar has no separate option for bzip2, although patches float
around (and they use at least three or four different letters, -y, -I
etc.) Here's what the maintainer says in the FAQ:

From: François Pinard <pinard@IRO.UMontreal.CA>

. + Q: Why isn't there some `--bzip2' option to `tar'?

I'm trying to not implement new options to `tar', when the functionality
is easily obtainable by other means. One may write `--use=bzip2' to
get an effect similar to various suggested `--bzip2' options. This is
longer to write than a short option letter, but single letter options
are a scarce resource, which I treat as such. Not all hope is lost,
however. Jean-loup Gailly writes that he is working with the author
of `bzip2' to integrate a slightly improved version of `bzip2' inside
`zlib.' As `paxutils' will eventually use `zlib', this should give
us `bzip2' support rather transparently, right over the `z' option.
Also, `z' will become optional on extraction, as `tar' will be made
to automatically recognise when an archive is compressed. So, we are
going into the proper direction, although progress is admittedly slow.

-- v --

v@iki.fi