Re: egcs-1.1.2 ping bug also causes miscompilation of pcbit isdn drive

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
18 Jun 1999 05:41:18 GMT

In article <199906171219.IAA12599@pincoya.inf.utfsm.cl>,
Horst von Brand <vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl> wrote:

>> And here we have MAJOR problem: there are NO easy replacements for some
>> such things used in linux kernel. Yes, it's not portable but what's can be
>> done ? EVEN if kernel is broken just stating that "such code is not portable
>> and so it's not our problem" is NOT ENOUGH. Some workaround is needed. And
>> workaround without speed loss and supported on all supported platforms !
>
>Sorry, I can't agree here. If you are fooling around with operating systems
>(those things usually depend intimately on the hardware they run on), a
>certain amount of pain caused by non-portability at the source level has to
>be taken into account.

That is what "-fno-strict-aliasing" does right now.

There _are_ no acceptable ways of doing this portably.

Linus