Re: UUIDs (and devfs and major/minor numbers)

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 11:20:52 +1000

Edward S. Marshall writes:
> On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Dan Hollis wrote:
> > I cant be the only one who would like to do something like:
> >
> > # chown named /proc/sys/net/permissions/udp/53
> > # chown named /proc/sys/net/permissions/tdp/53
> >
> > And then run named non-root.
>
> Ye ghods, yes. What do you get when you readdir()
> /proc/sys/net/permissions/udp? All currently bound sockets? 65k files?
> (The former would obviously be preferred...)

Or just deny readdir() completely. It's not essential.
% ls -lF blah/udp/16

will still work. Just showing bound sockets would be strange, because
the point of this is to control access to allow binding in the first
place.

> I have to admit, I think this (conceptually) fits better in the realm of
> devfs. /proc just seems wrong for anything like this, but maybe it's my
> distaste of /proc being polluted for configuration controls showing.

Someone wrote a sockfs a long time ago. I don't recall what happened
to it.

Regards,

Richard....