Re: Odd filesystem permission handling

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 21:12:29 -0400 (EDT)

Mike A. Harris writes:

> Logged in as user "mharris" and in my home dir, I had a dir
> called "down" owned by root.root with perms 755.

Since the above is not a normal situation, traditional security
behaves oddly. Some "features" just suck.

> This dir had files in it.
>
> As "mharris" I tried to chown the dir to mharris.mharris, and I
> got permission denied. I then tried "rm -rf down/" also as
> mharris, and it successfully let me remove the directory.

This must be stopped:

ln /etc/passwd ~/passwd
chown user.group ~/passwd

The UNIX standard would let us restrict the first operation.
With that absurdity fixed, chown could be relaxed a bit.
Perhaps this: allow chown when the directory owner and new
file owner are both in the set of UIDs held by the process.
That gives you a "take ownership" in directories you own.