Re: [kernel] DMA page allocation

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 22:40:38 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:

> I'm really tired with the chronic problem of the linux kernel:
>DMA page allocation when the system memory size is far beyond 16MB.

Could try if a simple:

echo 255 510 765 >/proc/sys/vm/freepages

will help low memory machines? You can also set these limits by hand
inside your driver that needs DMA memory often by using the sysctl syscall
inside the kernel (or exporting the freepages symbols to modules 8)).

You will waste some more base memory but I think you may get a far better
behaviour.

I never gone into the fragment issue so far but I have some idea about
that, at first we should tell try_to_free_pages() which kild of memory
order we are interested about. Then we should elaborate shrink_mmap and
swap_out to work on `gfp_order' basis.

Andrea Arcangeli