Re: [kernel] Re: Speeding up fsck 2 times

Richard Jelinek (rj@suse.de)
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 10:45:13 +0200

Stephen C. Tweedie wrote on Wed, 16 Jun 1999 16:32:44 +0100 (BST):
> > This has one common problem under it: indirect blocks are spread all
> > over the media with big holes between them.
>
> They are close to the data, though. Placing indirect information in a
> separate cluster of blocks may make it easier to do metadata-only
> operations like fsck and unlink, but it will just slow down things which
> actually access data too. That seems like a crazy thing to want to do!

I agree. It *seems* so.

But did you actually a fsck on a central fileserver with a ext2fs size
over 200GB? That *is* a crazy thing.

As pavel mentioned it is a quickhack - not for the regular kernel
source. Something we'll have to do until we have a better filesystem -
finally.

bye,

Dipl.-Inf. Richard Jelinek(rj@suse.de)

SuSE GmbH Fax: +49-911-3206727
Deutschherrenstr. 15-19 Tel: +49 911 7405331
D-90443 Nürnberg Vorinstallierte Linux-Hardware:
Germany http://www.suse.de/suse_comp/index.html