Re: bugfix for do_brk() patch in 2.3.6

Chuck Lever (cel@monkey.org)
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 23:06:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, David S. Miller wrote:
> >
> > please apply this, it's against 2.3.6.
> >
> > it fixes a problem that prevents RH6.0 systems from booting. the error
> > messages usually complain about "init" not being able to load a library.
> >
> > Already in the 2.3.7 pre-patches.
>
> BUT PLEASE DON'T ACTUALLY MAKE THE MISTAKE OF USING THE 2.3.7 PRE-PATCHES!
>
> They are marked "dangerous" because they eat filesystems for breakfast.

let me clarify for everyone's benefit -- the problem this patch fixes was
introduced in 2.3.6 with the modifications that removed the global lock
from the brk() system call. the one line fix is provided for those brave
souls who want to try 2.3.6.

i'm glad to see the problem is fixed in 2.3.7 (pre).

- Chuck Lever

--
corporate:	<chuckl@netscape.com>
personal:	<chucklever@netscape.net> or <cel@monkey.org>