Re: Kernel 2.3.5/PCMCIA 3.0.12 hot swap problem

Erik Walthinsen (omega@cse.ogi.edu)
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 19:13:06 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Keith Owens wrote:

> There are known problems with pcmcia using services from interrupt
> context when it should not. AFAIK, they existed in 2.0 as well, 2.2
> changes seem to trigger them more often. Until pcmcia is fixed it
> looks like you will have to ifconfig eth0 down before popping the card.

I sent mail to David Hinds about the problem, and he seemed to think that
.10 would have fixed it... I haven't tested since I upgraded to .12, but
does indeed sound like the problem is still there. Suck. Good thing I'm
not working with my PC cards too much right now ;-)

This problem does need to get solved ASAP, as it makes normal operation of
a laptop under Linux rather a pain. Having to ifdown and remove a card
before suspending every time is not fun.

TTYL,
Omega

Erik Walthinsen <omega@cse.ogi.edu> - Staff Programmer @ OGI
Quasar project - http://www.cse.ogi.edu/DISC/projects/quasar/