Re: Computer Telephony on Linux

ellis (ellis@ftel.net)
16 Jun 1999 21:46:11 GMT

In article <lsaeu8kknw.fsf@nanak.savera.com>,
Ramana Juvvadi <juvvadi@savera.com> wrote:

>I remember
>reading that while the computer telephony adpaters plug into PCI or
>ISA slots, they are also connected by and additional cable. Considering
>that a separate bus is involved, I am surprised that no kernel
>support may be needed.

I assume the separate bus you are refering to is an MVIP bus. It is
actually so seperate that the computer (and hence the kernel) doesn't
even know it exists. The MVIP bus is used to move voice (i.e. PCM) data
between CT adapters. See http://www.mvip.org for more info.

>I presume we would at the least need device drivers for adapters.

Yes, you would usually need device driver support for the adapters.
Though sometimes you can do it all in user space. Some CT adapter
suppliers (Aculab for example) have already released drivers for Linux.

--
http://www.fnet.net/~ellis/photo/