Re: DAT problem with 2.2.10

Marc SCHAEFER (schaefer@alphanet.ch)
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 09:04:55 +0200 (MEST)

Jiann-Ming Su <js1@microwave.ph.msstate.edu> wrote:
> st0: Error with sense data: extra data not valid Current error st09:00: sense key Not Ready

You don't seem to have a tape in the drive. Use mt -f /dev/nst0 status
to see if it's loaded or not. Note that this error could be not related
to your problem (we don't know when that error happened, could have been
before or while loading the tape).

> The specific problem I'm having is with BRU. I tell it to append my new
> archive, and it hangs, until I eject the tape. Thanks for any help.

Can you try hand backups, e.g.

mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
tar cvf /dev/nst0 /usr
mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
tar --compare -f /dev/nst0 /usr # or something like this

if this works (do it after manual tape insertion, and only when
mt -f /dev/nst0 status reports tape online, like this:

drive type = Generic SCSI-1 tape
drive status = 251658752
sense key error = 0
residue count = 0
file number = 0
block number = 0
Tape block size 512 bytes. Density code 0xf (QIC-120 (GCR 10000 bpi)).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (41010000):
BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN
^^^^^^
)
then your bug is presumably in BRU.

PS: you specified 2.2.10 kernel. Does that mean this problem doesn't
happen with e.g. 2.0.36 ? In that case, the above might not
help.