Re: Partition nightmare Was: Migrating to larger numbers

Marc Lehmann (pcg@goof.com)
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 23:03:20 +0200

On Tue, Jun 15, 1999 at 09:33:15AM +0100, DAVID BALAZIC wrote:

> I don't say you shouldn't use volume labels , but that partition
> labels are more suitable for those tasks.

But only slightly so... device names are slightly safer than partition
labels are slightly safer than volume labels.

> >Do _you_ want to tell me that 99% of the time, e2fsck does something else
> >than saying "filesystem clean"?
>
> When accessing a partition by volume label , the app must read all
> avaliable partition and look for the correct label. This might
> be undesirable.

Three additional seeks per boot? (And probably no seek at all in the common
case where only one partition is on the drive?).

--