Re: 2.2.9 -> 2.2.10 lilo err

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 16:26:49 +0400 (MSD)

In <003501beb6f5$f07fc260$04c809c0@hotmail.com> Anthony Barbachan (barbacha@Hinako.AMBusiness.com) wrote:
> Does anybody know if this LILO problem is going to be fixed anytime
> soon?

Not, AFAIK. Can of worms there: you can access disk beyond 1024 cylinder only
with new extended BIOS calls and quite a few BIOSes has subtle errors there :-((

> Is there some reason why LILO can't be fixed to accomodate the > 1023
> cylinder situations?

What for ? It will need TONS of debugging to catch all possible weird
implementations and buy you [almost] nothing.

> NT and Win9x do not seam to have this problem about booting after the
> 1023rd cylinder.

Windows98 does not boots from partitions started after 1023 cylinder here.
And since msdos.sys/ntkrnl usually (but not always) sit in the very beginning
of disk (installer will try to do this) this problem usually is just irrelevant.
But Win9x and NT HAVE this problem as well. At least on some systems...

> Drives are already huge and just getting bigger every day so I suspect more
> and more people are going to start running into this problem; especially those
> who may already have the first part of their drive in use by another OS or
> those who do not want the complication of multiple partitions on their drive
> as well as those less knowledgable users for whom this adds a complication to
> their system setup.

So you volunteer to do it, right ?