Re: Partition nightmare Was: Migrating to larger numbers

Marc Lehmann (pcg@goof.com)
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 21:25:58 +0200

On Mon, Jun 14, 1999 at 02:22:07PM +0100, DAVID BALAZIC wrote:

> > This does not at all mean they can't be used!
>
> OK , then how would you make this :
> "mke2fs on partition YAHOO1"
> if the label YAHOO1 isn't defined anywhere ?

I was mainly speaking of e2fsck. You normally don't do mke2fs
automatically. But even then, yes, volume labels could sitll be used,
although their use would be far less common.

> > If the partition is so corrupt that the label name can't be found
> > user interaction is probably necessary anyway. If the label is intact
> > everything is fine.
>
> But if it isn't , then it's not fine. If the FS is corrupted , then
> any part of it can be bad , including the label , don't you think so ?

Why this should be a reason not to use them escapes me. At the moment its
practically impossible to use labels in your fstab just because e2fsck
doesn't support them.

Do _you_ want to tell me that 99% of the time, e2fsck does something else
than saying "filesystem clean"?

--