Re: [OT] NTFS is fast at fsck/chkdsk NOT !

Gordon Chaffee (chaffee@cs.berkeley.edu)
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 12:11:36 -0700 (PDT)

DAVID BALAZIC writes:
> From: Gordon Chaffee <chaffee@cs.berkeley.edu>
> >The only reason you are seeing chkdsk run is because your filesystem
> >is FAT based, not NTFS. chkdsk never runs on an NTFS filesystem.
> >Check your facts a little more carefully before posting.
>
> I rechecked it , bot explorer properties and WinNT Diagnostics
> say that it is NTFS. ( drive C: , the only one )

Time to eat my words. Based on feedback, it appears a chkdsk can
run on NTFS if a disk is sufficiently corrupted. I had never seen
it run on anything but a FAT filesystem after crashing NT, and I
had never seen any reference to checking an NTFS filesystem.

- Gordon