Re: initrd redesign (was Re: Partition nightmare Was: Migrating to larger numbers)

Matthew Wilcox (Matthew.Wilcox@genedata.com)
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 18:08:13 +0200

On Mon, Jun 14, 1999 at 04:55:18PM +0200, Werner Almesberger wrote:
> Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > The patch that exists on my website has the problem that it
> > does not allow the remounting of filesystems that do not have a device
> > associated with them.
>
> No problem - with something like /proc/mount-devs (see my previous
> posting), one can easily look up or temporarily create the corresponding
> device file, including all the "unnamed" ones. LILO has code for
> obtaining a device by its number.

it's worse than that, I'm afraid. With my patch applied,
mount -o remount server:/path

no longer works, which is why we decided we had to introduce a new flag.

> > The current proposed solution introduces a new flag, MS_MOVE which
> > indicates that the filesystem should be moved to a new mountpoint.
>
> I guess I would just have reused MS_REMOUNT to avoid forcing a mount
> update, but MS_MOVE is probably cleaner, considering that you can
> create somewhat obscure configuration problems this way.

I'd love to not have to use another bit, but the problems seem impossible
to overcome.

--
Matthew Wilcox <willy@bofh.ai>
"Windows and MacOS are products, contrived by engineers in the service of