Re: EPIC

hagopiar@vuser.vu.union.edu
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 11:50:56 -0400 (EDT)

It should actually be faster... 64-bit CPUs will have 128-bit memory
busses so with SDRAM you can supply one instruction bundle every cycle of
the FSB. With a lot of code using predicates (I'm really starting to like
the predicate idea :-) ) instead of real branches you can keep SDRAM
(4-1-1-1 for pc100) going at full speed. That's 3 instructions per clock
cycle with no stalls. You could blow through a 12 instruciton branch (4
cycles * 3 instrs/bundle) done with predicates at the same speed as
branching around it.

When you add an I-cache (the docs say nothing of specific implemtations
yet) things will get even faster (but they also change a bit - it's no
longer quicker to blow through a 12 instruction stream). I can't see any
reason that a multi-unit processor would come into existance any time
soon. It basicly defeats the purpose of the architecture which is to get
_away_ from superscalar processors and put the parallelism work into the
compiler.
-Rob