Re: UDF patch to 2.2.9

grant@torque.net
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 10:24:32 -0400 (EDT)

> On Sat, Jun 12 1999, Dave Boynton wrote:
> > I'd like to take this opportunity to plead for some needed updates to
> > the SCSI and IDE cdrom modules. The UDF module currently makes direct
> > calls to the SCSI driver in some places that make it mostly incompatible
> > to IDE drives. It would certainly be cleaner if the functions we need
> > were implemented in the Uniform CDROM interface. What we need is
> > inclusion of the SCSI3/mmc2 command set, which is used by DVDs, CDRs,
> > CDRWs, etc. I have a link to some SCSI3/mmc2 information at
> > http://trylinux.com/projects/udf/.
>
> I agree. I have been swamped the last two months, but this is
> on the agenda list. Expect to see something within a month.

Don't forget about the parallel port ATAPI drives. There are a lot of
HP-7200e users out there who'd love to see a UDF implementation. Once there's
a standard interface in the Uniform CD-ROM layer, and a reference SCSI
implementation, I'll add the support to 'pcd'.

By the way, on a related topic, has there been any thought given
to moving the SCSI/ATAPI audio IOCTLs into the Uniform layer ? There are
now at least three separate instances of almost the same block of code (in the
SCSI, IDE and parallel ATAPI CD-ROM drivers).