Re: Partition nightmare Was: Migrating to larger numbers

H. Peter Anvin (hpa@transmeta.com)
14 Jun 1999 04:26:24 GMT

Followup to: <01JC9S6LXMO2001ICW@rcum.uni-mb.si>
By author: DAVID BALAZIC <david.balazic@uni-mb.si>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> Bradley M Keryan (keryan@andrew.cmu.edu) wrote :
>
> > On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, DAVID BALAZIC wrote:
> >

> > > Many people discussed the problems with partition names,
> > > like finding the correct partition , shifting partition IDs
> > > when changing HW configuration , etc.
> > >
> > > I have s simple solution for that:
> > > Use partition names.
> >
> > This is (at least on the PC) a userspace issue.
>
> Not really, because you can't mount root ( / ) from userspace :-)

Actually you can; it's called initrd. Currently, of course, initrd
uses this funny hybrid user space-kernel space scheme for remounting
the root; I believe that should be changed so that you actually mount
the new root in a standard fashion and pass the kernel a file
descriptor to the new root.

-hpa

--
"The user's computer downloads the ActiveX code and simulates a 'Blue
Screen' crash, a generally benign event most users are familiar with