Re: holes for ISA boards...

Christer Weinigel (wingel@hog.ctrl-c.liu.se)
13 Jun 1999 04:11:54 -0000

Mark Jefferys <mjeffery@europa.com> wrote:

>It was renamed to ioremap and moved to arch/<arch>/mm/ioremap.c .
>
>But this part of the patch looks bad to me anyway; it stops anyone from
>mapping part of the hole to VM, but presumably anything that does this
>knows what it's doing (probably a driver mapping memory straight from an
>ISA card). Or am I missing something?

The test is the other way around from what you expect. Normally
vremap will return NULL for adresses below the top of memory (since it
probably would be a mistake to allow physical RAM to be mapped by a
driver), my patch excludes the memory hole from that test.

if (MAP_NR(offset) < MAP_NR(high_memory)
&& (offset < memory_hole_start || offset+size > memory_hole_end))
return NULL;

>Doesn't look worth saving, as Stephen Early's patch looks more flexible
>(not to mention supporting far more machines).

Well my patch was a hack to get things working, with minimal changes
to the memory management code in the kernel. It could most probably
be done in a better way.

/Christer (half asleep)

--
If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?