Re: Partition nightmare Was: Migrating to larger numbers

Marc Lehmann (pcg@goof.com)
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 22:45:24 +0200

On Fri, Jun 11, 1999 at 10:55:13AM +0100, DAVID BALAZIC wrote:
> > in fstab. I tried it, and mount likes the labels just fine. However, my
> > fsck doesn't understand the labels yet (didn't try the UUIDs).
>
> The difference is that Volume-label and UUID are stored in the partition, which
> means they can't used with mkfs and neither with fsck , because the partition

This does not at all mean they can't be used!

> may be currupt.

If the partition is so corrupt that the label name can't be found
user interaction is probably necessary anyway. If the label is intact
everything is fine.

It would certainly make sense for fsck to support labels on ll platforms!

--