Re: How to enhance cmds

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 20:41:23 +0400 (MSD)

In <000201beb4df$8aaaab20$49235e18@d350.stny.rr.com> Lou Grinzo (lgrinzo@stny.lrun.com) wrote:
> I know this isn't a kernel issue, strictly speaking, but this seems
> to be the best place to get the "right" answers.

Of course it's wrong place.

> I'm considering doing some work to add some minor features to
> existing Linux commands - a Unicode command line option for
> "strings", for instance - partially for utility of the new features, and
> partially for the experience of doing it.

Then do it and test it :-)

> Assuming I come up with something that's useful and reliable, do
> I send the patch file here, even though external cmds are not part
> of the kernel itself, or where?

Not here for sure. You must send patches to mantainer of affected program
(or appropriate mailing list). It's linux-*KERNEL* mailing list.

> If I'd like to get minor additions like this into distributions, is the
> best route to create a new command ("stringUni"), cloning the
> base code, or add an option to the existing cmd? (I know that
> cloning the code is a maintenance issue; I'm asking solely about
> the procedural issue of getting the enhancement accepted on
> an "official" basis.)

Any way can be best. There are no easy answers. Talk with mantainers of
external command, do not pollute linux-kernel mailing list. `strings' command
is part of binutils (at least here) so you must contact with binutils guys...