Re: [patch] 2.3.6 alpha fixes

Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@pobox.com)
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 12:33:58 -0400

Matti Aarnio wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 12, 1999 at 10:55:42AM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > 2.3.6 doesn't compile, at least in non-SMP configuration. The attached
> > patch fixes the error (shown below) by converting some spinlock macros
> > into inline funcs.

> Those macroes are just fine, except the spin_trylock()
> which must be as follows:
>
> #define spin_trylock(lock) ((int) 0)

Yeah, but I like inline funcs better than macros, IMHO they are safer
for many situations. So when I made the above fix, I did so by
converting it to an inline func which returned an explicit type.

> However, with RedHat 6.0 contained egcs 1.1.2 compiled
> 2.3.6 kernel my network isn't working at all -- or well...
> ... it can receive, but tcpdump tells that incoming frame
> is some insanely large thing, like 340 MB, and crashes.
> Same Tulip driver that works with 2.2.10pre3 doesn't help
> at all.

This is on Alpha?

I can't get 2.3.6 to boot from SRM, aboot complains about there being "2
headers" instead of one or something. I am guessing that means ELF
header, but not sure.

Jeff