Re: [patch] 2.3.6 alpha fixes

Matti Aarnio (matti.aarnio@sonera.fi)
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 18:21:28 +0300

On Sat, Jun 12, 1999 at 10:55:42AM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> 2.3.6 doesn't compile, at least in non-SMP configuration. The attached
> patch fixes the error (shown below) by converting some spinlock macros
> into inline funcs.
>
> Along the lines of the comment at the top of
> include/asm-alpha/spinlock.h, would a patch to move that stuff into
> inline funcs in include/linux/spinlock.h be accepted?

Those macroes are just fine, except the spin_trylock()
which must be as follows:

#define spin_trylock(lock) ((int) 0)

However, with RedHat 6.0 contained egcs 1.1.2 compiled
2.3.6 kernel my network isn't working at all -- or well...
... it can receive, but tcpdump tells that incoming frame
is some insanely large thing, like 340 MB, and crashes.
Same Tulip driver that works with 2.2.10pre3 doesn't help
at all.

2.2.10pre3 (and even 2.2.6ac3) exhibit strangest *leakage*
(looks like) of file descriptors... All the sudden the
default 4000 open files aren't enough in the system, so I
upped file file-max to 8000 to have some room:

# ls -ld /proc/*/fd/* | wc -l
380
# cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr
6169 1816 8000

System uses 4353 'file' structures, yet all processes in
the system contain only 380 fds :-/

What other things consume those open files ?

> Jeff

/Matti Aarnio