Re: holes for ISA boards...

Christer Weinigel (wingel@hog.ctrl-c.liu.se)
12 Jun 1999 14:38:41 -0000

Riley Williams <rhw@MemAlpha.CX> wrote:
> > Christer Weinigel made a patch for 2.0.29 so long ago that
> > let Linux use all your RAM and still have the hole.
>
> > It may still be available at:
>
> > ftp://rvs.ctrl-c.liu.se/pub/wingel/memory-hole-2.0.29.diff
>
> > Shouldn't be terribly difficult to move to 2.2/2.3.
>
>Any idea why this patch wasn't included in the main kernel?
>It sounds like it'd be a very useful feature.

Mostly because it's such an ugly hack I never considered getting into
the standard kernel, and I think that when I posted it on linux-kernel
someone said there was a more generic memory detection scheme in the
linux-2.1 kernel already.

Another problem is that my code only handled autodetection of the
memory hole with a very specific Intel chipset (and a broken BIOS,
that's why I poked directly at the hardware).

It would probably be a better idea to backport the 2.2 memory
detection scheme to the 2.0 kernels, doing it right. Any volunteers?

/Christer

--
If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?