Re: weird d_entry->d_inode pointer

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 03:05:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 12 Jun 1999, Andrew Clausen wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Note: this bug isn't reproducable - but I have a generally unstable
> system. Can someone give me hints on this? (more further down)
>
> linux 2.2.9
>
> I got a whole lot of Oops's when running chat (for initializing a ppp
> connection):

[snip]

> locks_verify_area dereferences file->f_dentry->d_inode. But d_inode
> is a weird number (0x0000063) - I determined this by disassembling the
> code (file->f_dentry->d_inode is %edx).
>
> So something's clobbering the f_dentry struct? I can't reproduce the
> bug (I'm on the net now ;-)

If all oopsen had the same ->d_inode causing the problem... Well, all
infomration you have is that one dentry was fscked up. Some hints might
come from the knowledge of *what* dentry it was (if you'll ever get the
same you may try to run strace on the offending program and look what it
tried to do), but so far all we have here is the "normal" effect of one
dentry being screwed. May be anything... Now, if you got different
addresses it might be more informative. IOW - not enough information to do
anything. Sorry ;-/