Re: holes for ISA boards...

Adam Fritzler (mid@auk.cx)
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 05:43:04 +0000 (UTC)

Christer Weinigel made a patch for 2.0.29 so long ago that let Linux use
all your RAM and still have the hole.

It may still be available at:
ftp://rvs.ctrl-c.liu.se/pub/wingel/memory-hole-2.0.29.diff

Shouldn't be terribly difficult to move to 2.2/2.3.

mid

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Mark Jefferys wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 12, 1999 at 03:07:34AM +0200, Hirling Endre wrote:
> % On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Aaron J. Grier wrote:
> %
> % > Any idea what's going on? Is it impossible for me to poke a hole in memory
> % > from 12-16MB so I can hack on this silly ISA board?
> %
> % Your patch creates a hole in Linux's virtual address space, but your
> % card needs a hole in the physical RAM, or it will conflict with chips
> % in that range. I think there's no way to do this with a machine that
> % has more than 12M of RAM.
>
> Some BIOSes have the capability of creating a hole within memory just
> for supporting legacy ISA cards. My FIC PA-2013 has such an option,
> although only for 14-16M or 15-16M hole.
>
> % But then again, you have Linux, an OS that runs fine with even 12M of
> % RAM :)
>
> In fact, I activated the memory hole feature when setting up my machine
> and ended up with Linux detecting only 14M. It took me a few days to
> notice that I was running on vapors...
>
> Which makes me wonder why Linux doesn't support this situation, and where
> I could find info that would let me fix it.
>

> Mark
>

> -

---
  Adam Fritzler
  { mid@auk.cx, afritz@iname.com}
    http://www.auk.cx/~mid/
   "Behold the power of cheese."  -- National Dairy Council