Re: 2.2 Boot problems

shendrix@escape.widomaker.com
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 23:16:05 -0400

In message <Pine.LNX.4.05.9906091656200.5743-100000@cyberelk.elk.co.uk>, Tim Wa
ugh writes:

> To save on bandwidth, here is the non-graphical version.. ;-)

> per-CPU timeslice cutoff: 100.00 usecs
> CPU0: Intel Pentium II (Deschutes) stepping 02
> SMP motherboard not detected. Using dummy APIC emulation.
> PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfb1c0
> PCI: Using configuration type 1
> PCI: Probing PCI hardware Linux
> PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
> PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
> ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:pio, ...
> ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, ...

I get almost the same thing with kernel 2.2.7-2.2.9 on my system.
Boots until the second IDE controller and then hangs.

Kernel 2.2.5ac7 and all previous work just fine.

My system is a Micronics W6-Li with 2 Pentium Pro CPUs and a DPT
SCSI controller. The only thing on IDE is a CD-ROM and a Zip drive.

The only thing different is the kernel: there have been no hardware
changes on my system.

Besides Bill, I have read messages from two others that have boot
trouble with the later 2.2 kernels. Seems serious enough for
someone to take a look.

Unfortunately, I can't get any information from the magic keys.
I just get a hard freeze after ide0's line is printed to the screen.

I can't imagine this problem would be fixed by Andre's patches
since I don't use IDE drives to boot up. My SCSI controller is my
boot controller and this isn't a problem from 2.0 to 2.2, it's just
between minor revisions of 2.2.

I'm not really sure how to further probe this problem because I
can't get anything but a quick freeze at boot. I've tried turning
off the secondary IDE controller in BIOS but that had no effect.

--
Shannon - shendrix@widomaker.com - InfiNet?
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a

--
Shannon - shendrix@widomaker.com - InfiNet?