Re: [SuSE Linux] 2.2 Boot problems

Andre M. Hedrick (hedrick@Astro.Dyer.Vanderbilt.Edu)
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 12:13:31 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Bill C. Riemers wrote:

> Yeah. Don't look for anything about me trying to use them in the near future.
> Those are just long term reasons why I want to get the 2.2 kernel working. Another
> would be so that I can tell SuSE how to make boot floppies that actually boot!

Really,

I spent more than an hour on the phone with SuSE-US's President discussing
many subjects. Since I just reviewed 6.1, there were a few desired
suggestions I offered to Mr. Marc Torres. You really should adjust the
tone from "tell" to "inform/suggest". He is a man that listens intently
on well thought I deals.

> Every time I do an upgrade right now, e.g. 5.3 to 6.0, 6.0 to 6.1, ..., I have to
> take one of my swap partitions, install a root partition on it, and boot from that.
> The reason is SuSE uses 2.2 kernels in all of it's boot floppies, and YaST can not
> update the BASE on a running system.

I gather there was a minor puzzle in YaST, but if you have used SuSE since
5.3 you should have an idea how to work YaST to make it do what you want.

I last installed 5.0 to review.

> > Tell us what you rip apart and why.
> > For the record, Mark is "The Former-Linux IDE guy" bestowing me the task.
> >
> > Now which "PIIX" is the problem??? PIIXa-PIIXb-PIIX3-PIIX4
>
> You've seen the boot log, so you know probably more than I do. The PIIX messages are

No, the "Subject" caught my eye only.

> the most significant difference between 2.0 and 2.2 I see in the boot log, and the
> relevant ide-pci.c file does not exist in 2.0. Since those are the last messages it
> prints before hanging, it is only natural to conclude that the most likely source
> of problem is the code printing out the PIIX messages. Although I'll try the
> ide0 and ide1 noprobe options first. That sounds really quick to try, and if it
> works I'll be REALLY happy. But if it doesn't probe, how is it going to know the
> hard drive geometry? Are there other flags I should specify with that?

Now hold up. Are you not primary SCSI, or is my vision/memory blurring.
Resend the missed logs, and we'll start over.
Let's not point to SuSE until we resolve a hardware question or two.

Andre Hedrick
The Linux IDE guy