Re: booting secondary kernels

Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 00:43:09 +1000

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:28:32 +0200,
naughton@poweronline.net wrote:
>Problem turns out to be, that when i boot the development kernel
>(the normal one works fine), the module info is loaded from
>/boot/system.map instead of /dboot/system.map, so the version is
>different and this results in an error.

If I understand you correctly, you are getting an error message in
syslog about wrong kernel version. If so, this is caused by klogd
which looks for the current System.map so it can convert Oops addresses
into module offsets. Unfortunately klogd only looks in 3 places (man
klogd and search for map), it certainly does not know about /dboot.

I recommend that you tell klogd not to look for the map. Find where
klogd is started (probably /etc/rc.d/init.d/syslog, under label start)
and add -x. Mine says "daemon klogd -x".

To get better Oops decoding, use ksymoops. It lets *you* say where
your maps and modules are instead of assuming, although it does have
default values.
ftp://ftp.ocs.com.au/pub/ksymoops/ksymoops-0.7b.tar.gz.