Re: release 0.2 of x86 performance-monitoring counters support patch

Mikael Pettersson (mikpe@csd.uu.se)
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 10:00:39 +0200 (MET DST)

Andi Kleen writes:
> Only thing that I'm missing in your nice patch is a way to access the performance
> counters of remote processes (so that I could hack gdb to do non intrusive
> profiling a la itune). Extending the ioctls could work, although a ptrace
> extension would be nicer.

I know. I'm currently working on the design of this feature. I will probably
represent the counter state objects as files in a pseudo filesystem, in order to
get sharing, lifetimes [the state must survive process death if there's another
process controlling it], and mmap() access right. SMP will be also have to be
considered, but I guess I can steal code from ptrace() or kill().

/Mikael