Re: Problems with starting X

Thomas Molina (tmolina@home.com)
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 02:17:49 -0500 (CDT)

I'm the one who originally raised the issue here, and I apologize to one
and all. Several people castigated me in private email for posting the
message inappropriately to linux-kernel and were not happy that I
included long strace outputs with the message. Rest assured it won't
happen again. My only defense is that I first encountered the error it
was while running a 2.3.X kernel and it wasn't immediately obvious to me
where the problem was.

Nate Eldridge sent me a patch to xinit.c which cured the problem.
Unfortunately it had the side effect of disabling the ctrl-alt-Fn to
switch virtual consoles. I'm looking into that now.

I've learned my lesson. Next time I'll make sure I have a valid kernel
issue before I post here. If I figure out the ctrl-alt-Fn issue I'll
contact the appropriate list. Thanks for your patience.