Re: Migrating to larger numbers

David Lang (dlang@diginsite.com)
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 19:04:46 -0700 (PDT)

I think this is a BAD idea.

I had a problem a while ago with an AIX machine.

1 the firewall died (power supply), middle of the day, time to scramble

2. remove the hard drive, mount it in another machine to read config files

3. AIX forced us to change the partition named from /, /usr, /home, etc to
/oldroot, /oldusr, /oldhome, etc

4. now that we had a new machine up and running we replaced the power
supply on the old machine and attempted to boot it, guess what, no /
partition to mount. According to IBM we needed to do a full re-install of
AIX.

don't do anything to a partition that makes it hard to mount it somewhere
else if you need to.

David Lang

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Stephen Frost wrote:

> On 9 Jun 1999, Kai Henningsen wrote:
>
> > > I think perhaps I'm asking the wrong question. The problem I
> > > have is the whole /dev/sd?? stuff. devfs allows for /dev/dsk/c0t0...
> > > kind of addressing, which to me makes alot more sense and is easier
> > > for me to work with. I don't see a way to do this (currently) in
> > > user space.
> >
> > It's still the wrong way.
> >
> > Most of the time, you don't really want to say "the disk that is target 0
> > on controller 0".
> >
> > You want to say "the partition that belongs on /usr", or "the new Seagate
> > hd".
>
> Perhaps. I can much more easily equate the two using devfs than
> /dev/sd??. At the moment devfs is availible, is there a way to do what you
> are suggesting? For All filesystems, including root? And also, what about
> all the other devices on a system? This isn't just about filesystems and
> scsi disks, though those are some of my major concerns.
>
> > And the thing is, this can be done almost completely from user space -
> > just the information gathering part needs kernel support. And that means
> > you can use config files.
>
> Sounds interesting, is there somewhere I can get more information
> on this? What is the likelyhood that it will work with the root filesystem?
> If it doesn't, what then?
>
> Stephen
>

> -

"If users are made to understand that the system administrator's job is to
make computers run, and not to make them happy, they can, in fact, be made
happy most of the time. If users are allowed to believe that the system
administrator's job is to make them happy, they can, in fact, never be made
happy."
- -Paul Evans (as quoted by Barb Dijker in "Managing Support Staff", LISA '97)