Re: Power management (was Re: 2.3 wish: integrate pcmcia into mainstream kernel)

Matthew Wilcox (Matthew.Wilcox@genedata.com)
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 14:35:25 +0200

On Wed, Jun 09, 1999 at 01:05:53PM +0200, Werner Almesberger wrote:
> Let me briefly introduce that design. The goal is to provide useful
> power management for devices like battery-powered palmtop computers,
> like the Psion S5, Geofox One, or eventually WinCE machines.

> - each device has an idle timer associated with it. Whenever the device
> does something "interesting", it resets the idle time. When the device
> reaches its idle time, it is switched off.

Is there a mechanism for allowing a device to power itself back on when
it receives an interrupt? This would be interesting for mobile phones,
I imagine.

--
Matthew Wilcox <willy@bofh.ai>
"Windows and MacOS are products, contrived by engineers in the service of