Re: Devfs, was Re: Migrating to larger numbers

Stephen Frost (sfrost@ns.snowman.net)
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 11:42:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Richard Gooch wrote:

> The symlinks would be put under /dev/cd. And it's only ever going to
> have a few entries because I can't imagine many different interface
> types being implemented.
>
> Now, if you *really* care, you can have devfsd create the symlinks in
> /dev/cd as each interface type is loaded. Personally, I wouldn't
> bother.

I can understand that, and thinking back on it, the question
really is, of what use is this? It does seem somewhat silly and
cluttering things that don't really need to be... The
for cd in /dev/*/cd solution (Provided that layout never changes)
seems simple enough to me...

I realize you didn't initially request this, so I'm not trying
to ask you what use this is, but rather the list. :)

Stephen