Re: Devfs, was Re: Migrating to larger numbers

Guest section DW (dwguest@win.tue.nl)
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 09:41:40 +0200 (MET DST)

From: Richard Gooch <rgooch@atnf.csiro.au>

Guest section writes:
> From: Richard Gooch <rgooch@atnf.csiro.au>
>
> However, with devfs you can definately avoid the lookups into the
> major tables. Right now that's fast because they're simple arrays. If
> we go to 12 bit majors (or more), we're going to want to set them up
> as lists of some kind. And that means some kind of searching/hashing.
> And that's all for the benefit of finding our fops. Devfs completely
> avoids this overhead.
>
> No. A kdev_t is a pointer to a structure that has various fields.
> Not:
> blksize[MAJOR(dev)]
> but
> dev->major->blksize

Cute. All, right, if you want to define kdev_t that way, go ahead. It
now has no relation to i_rdev. So once again we go through a lookup.

I am not sure what you mean by `no relation to i_rdev'.
Indeed, i_rdev is of type kdev_t.

Of course there is a lookup somewhere, namely at the moment
the device node is opened.

Andries